Godrevy Island lies approx three hundred yards off Godrevy Point. The uninhabited island is the site of an operational Trinity House Godrevy Lighthouse, where rugged cliffs rise from the sea. Gulls, oyster-catchers and pipits make their homes on the island, which is partly covered with grass, as it slopes down to the sea.
Godrevy - meaning 'small farms', is an area on the eastern side of St Ives Bay, west Cornwall. Facing the Atlantic Ocean it is popular with both surfers and walkers. Godrevy Island with it's lighthouse, was the inspiration for Virginia Woolf's novel 'To the Lighthouse'.
Godrevy lighthouse was errected in 1859, after an iron steamer was totally wrecked with the loss of all passengers and crew. Two keepers were originally appointed to the lighthouse and they maintain the two lights. Godrevy lighthouse was modernised in 1995 when it was converted to solar powered operation.
The white octagonal tower, 26 metres high, is made from rubble stone bedded in mortar, and is sited together with its adjoining keepers' cottages almost in the centre of the largest of the rocks. The cost of the Godrevy Lighthouse station was £7,082.
No products found in this collection.