Portreath is a small resort with a very narrow harbour located about 5 miles north of Redruth. The pretty, sandy beach has a stream running down to the sea on the left hand side. Like many beaches on the North coast, Portreath is popular with surfers.
The south side of Portreath beach is a quiet haven overlooked by sloping cliffs and dominated by Battery House; here cannons were kept in readiness during the French wars to repel any attacks on the cove and harbour.
Portreath was first recorded in 1485 and tin streaming in the valley was recorded from 1602. The village had a fishing fleet, mainly for pilchards The harbour we see today was started in 1760 to service the expanding ore industry in the area.
By 1827 Portreath was described as Cornwall's most important port and Portreath was one of the main ports for sending the copper ore to Swansea for smelting. The ships returned with Welsh coal to fire the steam engines used on the mines.